Monday, October 10, 2005

China's Good Things...



Most of what I have read about China thus far is bleak, probably because I am focusing on issues surrounding adoption and the abandonment of little girls. I don’t want to feel that way about China; so, I am determined to find some of the heartwarming traditions and customs of the Chinese people. One I have found that is truly lovely is a tradition in Northern China of making a quilt of 100 Good Wishes for a new baby. The way it works is, 100 people send an expecting mother, 2 swatches of the same fabric along with a note of good wishes for the baby. The mother uses one swatch in a quilt for the baby and puts the other swatch in a scrapbook next to the note. The scrapbook serves as a reference of who sent each piece of fabric and the good wish associated with it.


My great-grandmother made the quilt in the picture for me. It hangs on the wall in my room at my family’s house in Vermont. Growing up I would stare at it from my bed, tracing the pattern in every possible way. I have just come to learn that this pattern is called A Trip Around the World. This pattern is defined by a series of concentric squares.

I am going to try to make a 100 Good Wishes quilt to welcome this new child. Of course I would love for all my friends and family to participate. I am going to try to incorporate some of the pattern my great-grandmother used for my quilt. When I get closer to starting the project, I will post information on what size and kind of fabric I will need. (Thankfully, I will have a good long time to work on it since I have never made a quilt!)

No comments: