Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Educating the whole being....

I know I bitch a lot here about the things I don't like. This morning I stumbled across something that really moves me so I thought I would post something I do like. I am bit of a nut when it comes to education and specifically the educating of my little people. I am forever analyzing whether they are in the right environment. I want them to get all the fundamentals but I also want them to have access to the other stuff should they find themselves interested in it. What is the other stuff? You know, the stuff most schools deem not all that important to education like the arts, foreign language, sports - you know the stuff they cut funding for. Well the stuff they cut funding for is really my kind of stuff and should it also be the stuff my kids are into, well then by golly they will have it. I want them to have access to whatever floats their boat b/c in reality what floats your boat is going to be what you are good at. If you focus on what you are good at you WILL succeed. That is what I want for my kids. So here is a great video from a guy named Sir Ken Robinson speaking at a TED conference. It is funny, informative, and moving. Grab a cup of coffee and take a peek. The bit about the ballet dancer gets me every time!

It won't embed so try this link!

No comments: